How to make a herbal salve
What is a herbal salve?
A salve is an essential part of every Herbal First Aid Chest. The oily medium is good for carrying the fat-soluble properties of the herbs deep into the skin and surrounding tissues.
What is a herbal salve used for?
For abrasions, bruises, strains, dry skin, chest rub and lip balm.
Which herbs can I use to make a salve?
How do I make a salve?
- 100ml Infused herbal oil
- 15g Beeswax
- Optional: essential oils, 5-10 drops per 100mL
- Salve jars
- Heat-proof bowl
- First you will need to make an infused oil. You can find a recipe here.
- Take 100ml of your infused herbal oil
- Warm in a bain-marie, add 15g beeswax until it has melted.
- Take it off the heat.
- Whilst it is still warm add any essential oils you want to.
- Pour this into some salve jars.
- Allow to cool and then add a lid, label and store.
- Apply as you need a few times a day.
- To see if the salve will set to the right consistency and has enough beeswax in, take a teaspoon of the hot oil, place it on a saucer and put it in the fridge. If it sets after a few minutes then you are ready. If not, add a little more beeswax.